4/14/16

spring stumbles in



Spring is in Boone! After a late start with snow flurries in April spring has finally sprung!!

I was driving to class this morning and it finally started to look like spring to me. There is this back road I like to take where the trees line both sides of the street and you feel encompassed in them. For the past few months the trees have been bare but bit by bit I am seeing more leaves.

Spring doesn't happen over night. It begins with a bud, maybe just one or two. More buds come. Then more. And then they begin to bloom.

It reminds me of the process of sanctification---becoming more like Jesus. It doesn't happen over night. It is a continual process, often long and laborious but glorious. 

I often get frustrated with myself. I want to be rid of the sin in my life. I want to love unhindered by the jealousy, unforgiveness, and bitterness in my heart. I want to be done with my apathy, my foolish thinking, my hardness of heart.

"For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:24)

You can hear the desperation in Paul's words, can't you? Yes, if we repent and believe the Gospel we are saved and can have full assurance of our position in Christ (Mark 1:14-15). Though sin no longer has dominion over us, its presence lingers. Our flesh still tries to woo us into wrong thinking, speaking, acting.

"Even though we've been adopted into God's family and sin no longer controls us, sin still remains in us" -Tullian Tchividjian

In our frustration over our sin, in our deep longing and weeping to be more like Jesus, we must also  remember spring and her beautiful but patient work. How her fruit is not seen over night. Sanctification is a continual work of the Spirit as we willingly stumble into submission.

Henry Martin said, "The work is real, I can no more doubt it than I can my own existence. The whole current of my desires is altered; I am walking quite another way, though I am incessantly stumbling in that way."