5/22/15

reporting from north dakota



The rumors can be put to rest. North Dakota is, in fact, real. It is not a government conspiracy. It is an actual state. Actual people live in it. And also several bison.

I flew in coming up on two weeks ago with high hopes of getting a job or two and setting aside some cash to buy an older Land Rover by the end of summer. Still no job.

No real rhyme or reason. And after a week of grumbling about nothing to do I woke up and realized that I need to stop moping and start enjoying this new adventure. I volunteered at a local thrift store, did pilates outside in the beautiful North Dakota May weather (75 degrees, no humidity, slight breeze... it's prime), played fetch with my dog, planted some flowers, watched Longmire with my parents, began reading about past Native American life in these parts, and have ate some of the best burgers I've ever had. I'm still on the job hunt, but I am trying to enjoy this time that will likely never happen again once I graduate... no job, no school, no problems.


  


Tomorrow my parents and I are heading out to Theodore Roosevelt National Park for the day to hang out with some bison and hopefully ride some horses.

North Dakota is a different kind of beautiful than my mountains. It's flat. You can watch your dog run away for two weeks, as some say. But it's pretty. The sun stays out until 10 o'clock which makes for some nice nights spent kicking around a soccer ball and smelling the lilacs that are everywhere in the neighborhood I am in.

 

We are planning on going to Glacier next month which I am so excited for! There are a lot of rivers around here so my dad and I have been researching some kayaks to get. I've never tried kayaking before, only canoeing and rafting. I've heard getting the hang of the balance in one is the trick. Any pointers?


For those of you planning your summer vacation to North Dakota, give me a call. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment