10/31/14

the cross & my sin



tenderly he calls us. knowing our fragile state he beckons. in our ignorance he rings loud with truth and understanding. fiercely he makes known the way to him, for jealously he wants his bride.

'"come now, let us reason together," says the LORD, "though your sins are as scarlet, they will be white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool. if you consent and obey, you will eat the best of the land; but if you refuse and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword." truly, the mouth of the LORD has spoken.'

how miserably aware i am of how nonchalantly i think of the cross. how keenly conscious i am of my taking for granted the blood that makes me white as snow. how deeply mindful i am of how mindlessly i speak, think, feel, live in light of the sacrifice made for my frail, corrupted soul.

when jesus' life, death and resurrection do not leave me humbled at the feet of my lord, i know something is wrong. and what is wrong is me; my mind, my heart, my sin of apathy and entitlement.

truly, in the life of a christian, this incomprehensible, stunning sacrifice is all that we have our hope in, all that we rest our feet on. without it we are nothing, have nothing to place our trust in. for without it we have a life that was our lot when we first were conceived: a life spent separate from god, alone from our maker, forever apart from the only one---the sole one---who can satisfy, who we were made to worship, who is GOD.

the heart is heavy with longing to be overcome with this precious gift. heavy with desire to taste and see that he is good. he is all we have and all we need.

i take a step back and look at the cross, look at this weighty gift of redemption. i am grateful and humbled and overwhelmed. what wondrous love is this.




image: source

No comments:

Post a Comment