11/5/13

thirteen days



An open Facebook page is simply a psychiatric dry erase board that screams, “Look at me. I am insecure. I need your reaction to what I am doing, but you’re not cool enough to be my friend. Therefore, I will just pray you see this because the approval of God is not all I need." -Shannon L. Adler

We sat around the table, talking about God and loving people and our lives. Four girls with such simple days and dreams and desires. Four girls who, like a newborn babe, are just now realizing we have room to move around and eyes to see all in front of us and ears to hear the music of this world.

And, four girls who saw one big ugly elephant in the room when it came to why we weren't so good at loving people. Four girls, none of us wanting to admit to the idol that had us in its snare, but all of us knowing it was there.

"Social media" one brave voice finally spoke out. We all looked around with big eyes waiting to see how the others responded. And then all silently shook heads in agreement. A flow of how this one brilliant, time-consuming communication device hindered us from our Maker and loving others began to pour out from the mouths:

"I can't seem to get on Instagram without comparing myself to everyone else, wishing I had their lives and their clothes and their creativity."

"All I care about sometimes is getting another like on Facebook."

 "I will spend half an hour perfecting a Tweet that consists of 140 characters."

"I go somewhere that is beautiful, yet exchange living in the moment at that place with the people I am with for taking a ton of pictures."

"It's like if I don't tweet that I am hanging out with so-and-so or doing this cool thing, it never happened."

"No one knows how to just sit and be still anymore. We pull out our phones the minute we get bored."

"It seems like every time I speak to someone, they are going through their phone like I am not even there."


So we quit. We said "au revoir!" to the comparison game and the need for more likes. We decided to quit the cycle of self-consuming actions via social media.

But it didn't necessarily come easy (does sacrafice ever?) because we had become accustomed to the satisfaction, affirmation, gratification of this consuming thing. For us, it meant taking a hiatus from the sites that had us by throat.

For thirteen days we didn't take a peek at our Twitter feed. or our Facebook updates. or our Instagrams.

For thirteen days we were at rest. For thirteen days we didn't compare. For thirteen days we let ourselves breathe and have space to run and dance and sing and play in the Moment given to us.

Thirteen days of freedom.


check out my sister's take on her thirteen days here.


image: source