6/10/13

the entitlement complex

Entitlement. With each passing generation the fingerprints of this word grows more evident.

The ugly face of this can be seen in my own heart: my friend gets the big break, another finds her soulmate, he makes more money in two weeks than I do in two months. and what do I do? Mope around saying that they are not that much different than me, not elaborately more well-qualified than me, therefore it is not fair that they thrive in the limelight while I sit in the background.

Please tell me that some of you feel this way at times. That sometimes you wonder how they get it all and you remain without the glamorous job or booming social life or blissful marriage.


I never really thought of this complex that I and most of my generation have as a struggle with humility, but it is. For I am claiming unjust action because I deserve better or more. I am claiming all these things in the name of one person: me.

Something troubling about that, isn't there? That I, a proclaimed lover of the god-man Jesus, would focus solely on getting my name more famous, my heart more satisfied, my desires more fulfilled.

Truth be told there are many issues with this complex I struggle with: I claim it unjust that they "have it all" but doesn't John 3:27 perfectly state all is a gift from heaven? That none of deserve anything therefore all is grace? Another problem is this: I claim there is little difference between the esteemed colleague and myself but is there truly? Or are they working harder, thinking more efficiently and striving more while I ride by on just good enough all the while moping that I still haven't caught a break?


Yes, there are many problems that arise from this living an entitled life. I'm sure you, like I, have read many articles and heard many people list them out for us. But one consequence of this type of thinking that I have never heard is the one that is likely the most destructive.


Not only am I growing up with the cultural, mindset of "I deserve it all" but I also grew up in the church. I sang "Jesus Loves Me" more often than any other song as a child. My first sentence was likely quoting John 3:16.

Pair together feeling entitled and childhood spent amidst the Sunday school lessons and there is usually one response to the gospel: Duh, Jesus died for me. Duh, he loves me. That's elementary.

But is it? Can we really reduce the fact that all is grace, we deserve nothing but hate, judgement and hell, and yet a God to whom we constantly reject and endlessly push aside claimed love over us and went to all lengths to bring his love to us?

It is the gospel and it shall not be reduced. It is the gospel, our story, that should leave us humbly standing before our maker, weak at the knees asking, "You did this for me? But... why?"

For we are not entitled, it is not fair and this is the richest gift given to man.

We ate not qualified or good enough or worthy of this, of the gospel. So let us never respond to it like we are.