4/25/13

gypsy heart



Sometimes I find within myself the need to leave. The need to pack my bags with the bare essentials and travel; experience a place I have never known and people I never knew existed.

And when I say sometimes, I mean almost always.

My soul craves new experiences like a mouth thirsts for water. Once I get a sip I am good for a bit, but soon I need more, more of that refreshing, beautiful, life-giving gift.

I firmly believe that within my body dwells a gypsy heart, a heart that feels best when on the move and seeing the sun rise and set from a different mountain.

For a long time I felt this revealed an ungrateful spirit and I was quite ashamed of this gypsy heart. Why can I not just be content where I am? I would ask myself. Why am I always looking for the next adventure right after I get finished with one?

But then I realized something extraordinary: this is how we were made.

We were not made for this earth. I could move every day, see the moon from a new place every night, and I would still not be satisfied. I would still want more.

This restlessness we all have is the evidence, the leftover fingerprint, that proves we were made for something more, for somewhere else.

Why do we all long for paradise? Long for the beauty, long for the serene, long for the perfect, long for the laughter? Because that is what we were made for.

The wonderful C.S. Lewis said, “If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.”

I was made for another world. You were made for another world.

So the next time you find yourself longing for new scenery thank God for his small gift of evidence, the fingerprint he left for us to see.