2/24/13

breathe


Life, as of late, has resembled the mass chaos of boarding a subway in New York City far more than the leisurely stroll I took this morning in the mountains of Virginia. My to do list is a mile long and sometimes I am sure one more event added to my planner will make my head explode.

but. then. i breathe.

I've been reading (and rereading and rereading) The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis and am fully convinced of two things: the man is a genius and my heart has never been more deeply convicted.

One of the most pressing truths I am desperately attempting to grasp with my feeble little fingers is letting go of my fascination with day dreaming of the future that may or may never be and dwelling in the long gone days of the past. Yesterday is over and done. Tomorrow is a world that can never be known.

Screwtape tells of the power that Christians gain when they zone in on eternity and the present. He speaks of the power that comes when our minds are consumed with Home. He writes of the power that comes when our gripping hands cling to the screaming Moment before us.

And that's what I am learning to do, that is where I am letting Christ guide my heart, when the subway pulls up and I feel overwhelmed. I walk into the richness of this Moment and I look upward towards Eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment