10/8/12

oblivious to darkness



I stood there overwhelmed by the pressure in my chest. I fell to my knees, looked down at my open Bible and gasped out words---any words that I could find---within its pages.

"Send your grain across the seas, and in time, profits will flow back to you. " I read aloud from Ecclesiastics. "But divide your investments among many places..."

On and on I read. The words didn't make sense and had nothing to do with the battle before me, but I knew they were true and I knew they held power.


And the ferocious waves crashing to and fro like a beast unleashed were silenced with the words of my Maker.

It was my first recognized bout with spiritual warfare.

As I timidly shared my experience with friends and family I heard story after story of similar experiences coming from their mouths. The real and powerful became evident in their oblivious living lives.



If you've never read The Screwtape Letters, please do. You will begin to understand just how real evil lurks and tries to steal our hearts from our Lover. It's his desire and ultimate conquest.

Why do we turn a blind eye to the warfare in our lives? Why do we want to go around acting as if nothing is going on?

I think it's a way to get us further from the One. Because when we aren't overwhelmed by His power over those things, we live awe-less lives. We go about our days not truly thinking of Him fighting for us. 

Fighting for us like he did for his father's house---with righteous, thought through vengeance on the people making a carnival of the temple.


We stand in awe and "ooh" and "ahh" over soldiers who go to the front lines of battle with pictures of their wives or children in their pockets, yet don't sit and ponder a Holy God going to battle for His beloveds with their names engraved on his hand.

There is darkness out there. I think we get that---poverty, death, illness, loneliness, depression, suicide. There is also darkness going on that is unseen. A darkness that wants one thing: to get you as far away from God as possible.

If we don't recognize this darkness, it will succeed.

It's time to start living with our eyes wide open and realizing just how real spiritual warfare is and just how powerful our God is.