9/2/12

life beyond the computer screen



Raise your hand if technology controls your life. Are you raising your hand? Because most likely, it does.

Hey, technology is great. I proudly sport my iPhone, constantly am on Instagram and Pinterest consumes many hours of my time. Yet... I think that as technology grows something inside me slowly dies.

I'm not trying to sound melodramatic or anti-Twitter, but do you know what I am talking about?

For instance, when I was younger I would read... a lot. And now, cracking open a book (that isn't for school) is not how I usually spend my time.

And I would write---all day, everyday. Songs, stories, in my journal. You name it, I wrote it. Now, writing is only when I journal for a few minutes or update my status.

There came a point in my life where I stopped reaching for coffee first thing in the morning and I started reaching for my laptop. A moment where I started listening to what people were saying on Twitter, instead of what my friend in front of me was telling me.

And, again, while the Internet brings a super cool community of people together that may have never known each other, it still is taking something from us.

So, I challenge you: do something that you haven't done in awhile---or ever before!---that is not related to technology everyday this week.

I've really been working on this. I grab that book that's been on my shelf for the past year and start reading. And guess what? It's magical.

I wrote three pages of what my dreams are for the future. I stated cooking... all the time! I began simply sitting outside with coffee or my lunch and listening... I started going to the farmer's market and cute shops and cafes and just living life without my phone in hand 24/7.

My prayer life has been more conversation and less, "Hey God, you're awesome and... woah! Check out this girl's picture on Instagram!"

So go and live and do and breathe and dream. And, if you must, snap a picture and see how many likes it gets, but don't let that be your life. Don't let it become all your life is about. Let living become all that your life is about.

"All I want is for you to be able to develop a way of life in which you can spend plenty of time together with the Master without a lot of distractions."

image: source verse: 1 Corinthians 7:35