8/13/12

when life gets rough



I was mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted. I was stressed, I was drained and all I wanted to do was go to my bed, hide under the covers and cry.

It was not a good day.

And sometimes it's easy to fall into bed, stuff your face with ice cream or just stop living, but God calls us to something so much greater.

And you can do that. You can stay to yourself and sleep all day, gain twenty pounds and hide away but you're going to miss something: GOD. GOD MOVING. GOD MOVING THROUGH YOU. GOD DOING GREAT THINGS BY YOU AND YOUR GIFTS AND YOUR OPPORTUNITIES AND YOUR TALENTS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying go to your max and then keep going. I'm not saying to never have a vacation, staycation, or hour to yourself. But I am saying this: life is going to be tough. People won't always be nice. Things are going to get in your way. But keep going.

You're not doing life alone, though you may feel like it. You are not living and loving and doing life through your own strength.

And so, in the midst of my bad days, exhausting conversations and challenging situations I pray the only prayer I can:

God, give me strength to not burn out. God, give me courage to do what needs to be done. God, give me confidence to do it well and completely, with no hesitance. God, give me peace when it gets chaotic. And God, give me your Spirit that will carry me when I collapse.

Tell God what you need. Lean into him and his power. And when you ask, remember this:

"I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it will be yours." Mark 11:24


No comments:

Post a Comment