6/9/12

Dear Mawmaw and Pawpaw

During the summer before I go to college I am writing letters here to some people who have greatly impacted my life. My first one was to my sister, Tara. Now, I am writing one to my dad's parents: my Mawmaw and Pawpaw. Again: if you are reading these and you're thinking, "Why the heck did she not write me one?!" Just know: I love you all. There is simply not enough time to thank every single person who has made me who I am today. These people have stood by me throughout my whole life, though, and I want to recognize them.

Mawmaw, me, Tara, and Pawpaw at my graduation.

Dear Mawmaw and Pawpaw,

My goodness you guys have taught me so much. First of all: from you I have learned that hard work is not only good for you but needed for your own benefit. You two are some of the hardest working people I know.

Mawmaw: I love your laugh. I love how you taught me how to sew. I love how you made me the type of person that says, "I can make that" instead of simply buying it. You taught me how to play the piano when I was little. I remember you letting me spend the night with you and you showing me where to place my hands on the keys and listening to the songs I'd write. I love our dates to Starbucks and our times spent frolicking around the town. Every time my printer ran out of ink or broke and I needed to print something for school you were the first one to offer your own. You are the most selfless person I have ever met. You give and you give and you give and you don't look for anything in return. If I could be half the woman you are when I grow up I will be content. Your love for God, your family and your friends is beautiful and I cherish the time I spend with you.

Pawpaw: Growing up I was always "Pawpaw's girl." We were never apart and through the years that nickname still remains. You and I have a special bond and I have one thing to say to you: thank you. Thank you for being a man of the Word. A man who can't leave one person without telling them about Jesus. A man who is honest and full of generosity. A man who heard the call to be a pastor and went. A man who will do anything for anyone. A man who loves to talk but also loves to listen. A  man who speaks truth when no one wants to hear it and when it's not popular. A man who can make a joke out of anything. A man who takes his wife out to dates. Thank you for saying to me each time you see me, "Well, you are starting to be as pretty as I am." Thank you for the love and the bond you have brought to our family as a whole.

Mawmaw and Pawpaw: I love you both so much. You are so selfless apart yet even more like Love when you two are together.

Your granddaughter always,

Savannah

P.S. Some of y'all reading are probably not from the south.... if you are confused as to who "Mawmaw" and "Pawpaw" are and how to pronounce these strange words, do yourself a favor and find someone who was born in the Land of Sweet Tea and ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment