6/20/12

at the center of every fairy tale lay a truth that gave the story its power



If any of you know me well you know that I love a good fairy tale. Embarrassingly enough, tell me about a princess locked in a castle and a prince fighting to rescue her or about an undesirable elephant who has a heart of gold (cueing you, Dr. Seuss) and I become a little girl again.

Every time I read a fairy tale or watch the latest movie of a rendition of a classic Grimms Brothers story I leave wishing for that same sort of enchantment in my own life. I want the happily-ever-after story. I want to fight injustice fearlessly and come out victorious. I want to have a pure heart (and, of course, cascading hair and striking beauty).

But then, my eyes fall on my Bible and I get a serious expression and think to myself: "No time for fairy tales. Must get back to reality." And so I put my heart's longing to bed and instead go and live life trudging through and making sure I never get to other-worldly; never letting my heart become taken up by impossible, fearless, and beautiful love.

But if you really think, our love story with our Maker is a lot like a fairy tale. Please don't misunderstand me in saying that our love story with Him is fake or childish or impossible. But rather, it's almost as if our love story was so incredible and so true that we now are surrounded by remakes of the same story. Sure the names are changed from "God" and "His Bride" to "Prince Charming" and "Cinderella" but nevertheless, the similarity is there. So please, with an open mind, begin to think about how beautifully God sculpted our lives to be like the fairy tales we dream of. And again, don't think this is to make light of Christ's sacrifice.

The correlation begins at the beginning of time. Because, we all are the damsels in distress if you really think about it. We are the ones who started off pure and innocent. The ones who enjoyed time with their Father until, one day, Darkness came into the picture. He tempted us and we, as humans, fell prey to His trap. And then Paradise became twisted and dark and sinister and we were left heartbroken, without our Father, and without the Love we needed. A place once full of joy, peace, and unconditional love is now full of death, sickness, and orphans. A place where only truth is spoken is now shaded with lies and expectations.

And for years this hopeless existence was. Until, finally, our Father could bare it no longer. And in His perfect timing He sent the ultimate sacrifice. A lot of times, when we think of love we do think of the fairy tale  "happily-ever-after" kind, but in all reality love is the messy, selfless love that can be painful. It is Christ coming down as a helpless babe and dying for us and our whore-like ways. And it's beautiful. But not in a Snow White kind of way.

And now, we are given the choice. To accept or to reject and I pray you accept. Because then you have this to look forward to:

 "Then I saw Heaven open wide---and oh! a white horse and its Rider. The Rider, named Faithful and True, judges and makes war in pure righteousness. His eyes are a blaze of fire, on his head many crowns. He has a Name inscribed that's known only to himself. He is dressed in a robe soaked in blood, and he is addressed as "Word of God." The armies of heaven, mounted on white horses and dressed in dazzling white linen, follow him. A sharp sword comes out of His mouth so he can subdue the nations... I saw the Beast [Satan] and, assembled with him, earth's kings and their armies, ready to make war against the One on the horse and his army. The Beast was taken, and with him, his puppet, the False Prophet, who used signs to dazzle and deceive those who had taken the mark of the Beast and worshiped His image. They were thrown alive, those two, into Lake Fire and Brimstone. The rest were killed by the sword of the One on the horse, the sword that comes from his mouth."

I think, that when you look at this mesmerizing story between you and your Maker you will find that it is not of this world. It is not something that happens "just because" but it is supernatural. It is mystical. Yet, still fervently, unrelenting Truth that can and will wreck havoc on this Earth.

Finally, I leave you with something I think will show you just how not-of-this-world our story is. Let it sink in. Don't just skim over it in a rush, but truly grasp what is being spoken to you:

"The Spirit of God, the Master, is on me because God anointed me. He sent me to preach good news to the poor, heal the heartbroken, announce freedom to all captives, pardon all prisoners. God sent me to announce the year of his grace---a celebration of God's destruction of our enemies---and to comfort all who mourn, to care for the needs of all who mourn... give them bouquets of roses instead of ashes, messages of joy instead of news of doom, a praising heart instead of a languid spirit."

Guys, that kind of love, that kind of purpose, that kind of living is not normal nor is it natural. It can only come when you let Christ to live through you. Then, the supernatural will happen. The fairy tale will happen. And, again, I don't mean cutesy fairy tale, I mean people will stop and look at you and say, "He/she is not normal. You don't see that kind of love everyday. That kind of love doesn't come naturally. It must come from some Source... and I want to know that Source."


title: Susan Wiggs image verse one: Revelation 19:11-21 verse two: Isaiah 61:1-4 video

P.S. This video is a lot like the redefined fairy tale love I was speaking about in this post... It is beautiful yet calls you to ask yourself if you would be willing to do what this couple has done. It is sacrificial and doesn't make since. It's the kind of love that is not of this world. Enjoy.

video