2/17/12

I want your body, need your body.... (this title has nothing to do with my blog post..... but it'll do)

We all want to never be given up on. That's the realization I came to last night as I was sniffling to the ending of "The Notebook" for the trillionth time.

I've seen enough chick flicks, listened to enough girls rant about their drama, and taken part in my own to know that we want to go through hell with a person just to hear them still saying, "I have you. I am here. I will never leave you. I need you in my life."

I think the reason a lot of girls thrive on drama is because, secretly, they want to know that the person they are fighting with will be there through thick and thin. I can't tell you how many times, when invited to a friend's event, I have faked a "I don't know if I can come to [insert friend's event here]... I might be busy... or something" just to hear the words my soul longs to hear: "But I want you there."

Yeah, I know. That's embarrassing. But guess what? Honest truth. I want to be wanted. I long to feel needed. I desire someone to never give up on me.

That's why we, as the human race, feel like we have to be better, more successful, funnier, more beautiful, sexier, the whole kit and kaboodle; because we associate being more awesome with finding someone who cherishes that and will never let go of that.

No, it's not wrong to want to feel needed. It's pretty much the way we are made to be. But are you placing that longing into the hands of the One who made you that way or into the hands of your next lover, bottle of wine, career jump, or best friend? Are those thing wrong? No. But they will not fulfill our deepest desire: to never be given up on.

If anyone has a reason to give up on us, it's Christ. A list that could be read for weeks---even years!---of the reasons why He should deny us and walk away could be written up, easy. But yet, the One who has that list says, "I don't care. I love you anyways. I love you always. No matter what you do, what you say, how you feel about me, or the wrongs you commit I will always love you. Why? Because I long for you. I want you."


Let that love sink in for a little bit. Let every bit of you be drenched in that love. Don't just dip your toes in. Emerse your body in that great, magnificent, glorious, indescribable love that can never fully be understood. Let it wreck you. Let it heal you. Let it hold you. Let it become part of you.

Because no matter what the world tries to tell you, that love story is a whole lot better than "The Vow" could ever think about being.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! you have a way with words, a gift, God given gift. Thanks for your honesty and taking off the mask. Love you

    ReplyDelete