12/21/11

WANT < DO



I recently had coffee with a friend who went to Mexico this past summer. The change that trip brought in his life is obvious and his passion is undeniably. And of the many stories he has told me, one continues to stick. He was helping plan a party for some of the children who lived where he was working in Mexico and he said to one of the other helpers, "Man. It'd be awesome if we had a pinata to go with all of this." His friend turned to him and said, "Well, are you going to say it'd be cool to have a pinata, or are you going to do something about it?"

I like to think I am a go-getter. I see something wrong; I want to fix it.

Yet, I feel I'm ignorant to my own apathy. For instance, this entire past week I have continued saying I want a stronger relationship with God. I want to be passionate about Him. I want to be radical. I want to dig deep into His love.

But, what am I doing to get myself there?

Because, if my memory serves me correctly, I have spent every morning these past two weeks sleeping in. When I do decide to "dig deep" into God's love through the Word, it's a three minute skim of a random passage and a quick prayer, "I'll do better tomorrow, God" and then I'm bookin' it out the door.

When am I going to stop saying I want change in my life and start doing something about it? When am I going to stop saying I want to feed the poor and, instead, go feed them? When I am going to stop saying I want to overcome lieing and start speaking truth? When am I going to stop saying I want to read my Bible and just do it?

Wanting something is very different from doing something about that longing (just like I know Ryan Gosling wants to get my number and call me up he just hasn't got the guts to do it yet).

WANTING DOES NOT EQUAL DOING.


We can say we want to help others all we want. We can say we want to love until our voice runs out. We can scream at the top of our lungs that we want to give God all that is within us until we're on our deathbed, but if we don't do anything about it, they're just words. They're useless and have nothing to back them up.

So the question remains: when are we going to stop saying we want to do something and just got out and do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment