12/3/11

BEAUTIFUL

I am tired of girls feeling insecure in themselves. I am tired of feeling insecure in myself. I am sick of society telling us that unless we fit a stereotype we are not beautiful.

We are told that if a guy thinks we are hot, we're worth it. And the only way guys will think we are hot is if we are certain size with a certain hair color and hold a certain aura of sexiness. And we are told if we don't have all these things then we are a nobody.

I am also really sick of people saying, "Own who you are. Everyone is beautiful in their own way."

Yeah, I get that it's all true. I get Oprah and whoever else wants us to feel good about ourselves, but you are simply giving us a pep talk. And the thing about pep talks is they never last longer than the end of the current battle we are in---whether that's smiling at ourselves in the mirror or holding our head high as we walk through a room. But once that feet is accomplished we need another pep talk. And soon our lives revolve around getting pep talk after pep talk after pep talk.

Well, guess what?

God knit you together---all the delicate, complex, awe-inspiring parts of you---in your mother's womb. He made you in His image. You are wonderfully made. God delights in You. No number can be put on the times God thinks of You. He is mesmerized by You. He will never leave You. (Psalm 149 and Genesis)

That's no pep talk. That's a promise.

But this thought can't be read once and then forgotten. If you want to see lasting results you must make this a part of you. How? Well, that's where a challenge comes in.

Here's what I want you to do: for 30 days follow the guidelines below. Some of them are going to suck going without, but I promise---or hope---that it'll be worth it. Here goes:


  • Get rid of your glamour magazines. You know what I am talking about; Seventeen, InStyle, Elle. Thankfully, I don't have a huge magazine fetish (except for HouseBeautiful, Relevant, and any other design magazine but this will still be hard for me because I like to flip through Cosmo every now and again).
  • Don't watch any chick flicks. Yep. I said it. This includes but is not limited to the following: The Notebook, Something Borrowed, and any film starring a vampire and his no-personality girlfriend. Yes, I know this isn't going to be fun. But think about it: you leave watching these movies thinking I want that. I want a boy. I want to look like her. If I looked like her I'd get a guy like him. LIES. It's fiction!
  • Listen to only worship music. Dude. I can't believe I just typed that. But, yes. Only worship. This is coming from a music fanatic. Honestly, though, worship music is the bomb and you can get some really good worship music nowadays. (Now I know that there are many secular songs that can totally be made into an experience of worship. I feel that way about Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, but this is just intentionally listening to songs who's purpose is to glorify God).
  • Do something nice for someone else once a day. It's a happiness booster. Promise.
  • Read Psalm 139:14 everyday.
  • Don't facebook/twitter stalk. Bonus: it makes you look like you have a life.
  • Work out, eat wisely, and be healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment