11/8/11

The Compassion Complex



My generation is passionate about justice. We're the kids who want to go to India and stop poverty. We're the kids who get applauded for talking to the loner at school. We want to help the underdog, and better yet, our peers support that drive in us.

Yet, I have to wonder: why are we doing all of this? It's great and all... we should be doing it, but what are our motives?

Consumer compassion, as some call of it, has become a huge fad among people my age. It's really neat. We are buying stuff that, is in some way, shape, or form, benefiting someone else. Awesome, right?

But what about this:

What is going to happen when compassion is no longer cool? Who are the down and out going to turn to when this fad of justice diminishes?

I find myself a lot of times doing something simply for the approval I'll gain from those I look up to. My heart gloats a bit when I hear, "Did you see what Savannah did the other day?" On the flip side, when I get no recognition for something I did, I become depressed and irritated. People's reaction is the root of why I do good things.

Now, that isn't to say I think anyone who does something simply for people's approval should stop doing those good things. Even Paul talked about how people were telling others about Christ and living in pride, etc. but God's love was still being spread so it was okay. But, I am saying, as someone who has Christ in me and who claims to be living in His Spirit, I can't exactly continue living only for other's approval.

In 2 Corinthians 7:12-13 Paul told the people in Corinth "You're more alive, more concerned, more sensitive, more reverent, more human, more passionate, more responsible. Looked at from every angle, you've come out of this with purity of heart."

It begs the question of our own lives: if you looked at us from every angle, if God searched the depths of our hearts, would he find a pure heart? A heart that wants to please God?

No comments:

Post a Comment