6/25/11

The future scares me.

 Image

I have a lot of thoughts going through my head right now. I'm wondering why my coffee maker had a melt down 2 minutes ago, how to create a balance in what I do regarding the media, and the future.

The future scares me.

The unknown of it. Sure, I can't wait for a lot of it and there is a huge part of me that wants to race towards this time a year from now but, along with that longing, is a part of me that wants to become that four year old girl again that would curl up in her Dad's lap and sing to whoever would listen songs from Sunday school.

I think we all long to know what is in store for us just so we can ease our worried minds. I think a part of us all wants to take a few steps back as well. To relive some moments, redo some choices.

But the thing about God and His way of doing things is that He gives the command to not "worry about everyday life---whether you have enough food or drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food and your body more than clothing?" He goes onto pose the question: "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?"

It's true, when you think about it. We can worry all we want, we can plan all we want, we can "accident-proof" all we want, but in the end, what is going to happen is going to happen. God is the One who makes the decisions, runs the world, and controls our destiny.

So, what can we do in the mean time? Two things.

1) You can refuse to worry and "instead, pray about everything." Why? Because when we do that we will "experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand." I can vouch for this sort of peace on some level. I know how I have been in situations that made me feel uncomfortable, upset, disappointed, or broken and I decided to not stress over it, but talk to God about it. The peace that comes cannot be described in a 3,000 page book, let alone a short blog. It's surreal. It's supernatural.

2) You can "enjoy every minute of [life]. Do everything you want to do; take it all in... refuse to worry, and keep your body healthy." God says in His word to take in all that we can and live life to the fullest. Does that mean He condones sin? Of course not. Because He also says "remember that you must give an account to [Me] for everything you do."

He wants us to celebrate where we are right now, in this moment and live for it, not the past or the times to come. He doesn't want you wasting away wishing you could go back or worrying about when you step forward; He wants you to be stoked for the future! So why not take on that new perspective? That perspective of gratitude for the moment you are presently living and joy for what God is preparing You to do.


Verses used: Matthew 6:25, Phillipians 4:6, Ecclesiates 11: 9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment